Sunday, May 10, 2009

Potato Leaf beatles and Grass fed beef

Well, Hardy and Alena were picking Potato Leaf beatles off the potatoes last Friday. I told them that they had to get rid of them. Well, Hardy being the 12 year old boy that he is came up with the bright idea of feeding them to the fire ants. You see we have a large fire ant mound at the back corner of the yard. We just found it a couple of weeks ago. I need to bring a group of hens up in the yard to work on the nest for me. Anyway, Hardy dumped a bunch of beatles into the nest after he had stirred up the ants. The ants began to attack the beatles and sting them. They also took them down into the nest. For the kids this was a major "Nature Study" for our homeschooling. It was getting rid of the beatles but not in the way that I had envisioned. Interesting to watch though.



Our first grass feed beef was ready this past week. We have been blessed to have a good initial response and already sold a bunch of beef to customers. Our family celebrated Mother's Day last night and grilled T-bones from the steers and grass-fed burgers at Mama and Daddy's. It was very good to me. The T-bones were particularly tender. We await the feedback from others. I am off to a Farm to Fork Summit for two days but will post again in a few days. I hope that you are enjoying your CSA boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment